Tips from Houston Accounting Recruiters: How to Juice Up Your Job Descriptions
Lost your best accountant? Have more work than you can handle? Existing staff members taking on too much? It’s time to hire. But, as leading accounting recruiters in Houston, Murray Resources knows when it comes to adding to your accounting team, it can be tough to find the professionals with the right mix of technical and soft skills. Where do you begin? It all starts with a strong job description.
A solid job description can go a long way in:
- Offering candidates key insight into what the position entails.
- Impacting the quality of candidates that come your way by weeding out unqualified ones.
- Enabling the hiring team to more effectively review resumes and conduct interviews.
- Providing benchmarks for performance once a new employee is hired.
All these add up to better hiring decisions and fewer costly mistakes. To help you take advantage of all that effective job openings can offer, here are some tips to put to use:
Start from scratch.
Many times, hiring managers reuse job descriptions or compile new ones by copying and pasting from others. But this can get confusing. It’s always best to start from scratch. This is especially true as accounting laws and the duties and requirements at your company change rapidly. Keep in mind, you’re not trying to just fill an empty seat, but find a valuable asset. And your job description is the first step toward getting there.
Cover the essentials.
Your job description should have a few key essentials. These include the job title, a brief summary of the job and its responsibilities, required skills and key qualifications, and desired traits you’d like to see. In addition, it should include information about salary and benefits, the location, and company and recruiter contact information.
Put yourself in the shoes of the candidate.
Too many times, companies focus solely on their needs when hiring. However, beyond the details above, it’s important to showcase to candidates what you can offer as an employer. In other words, answer this question: Why should they want to work for you? Talk about what makes your company innovative or unique and what they can expect if hired. Also, think about other basic questions most job candidates would have and try to answer them through your job posting.
Keep it simple.
Don’t let your job description turn into a long read. It should be focused and simple. When it starts getting too verbose and complicated, you’re going to lose the interest of your target audience: high-quality accounting candidates. Keep in mind, it doesn’t need to include every detail of the job or about the company. You’re trying to give candidates a high-level overview of your needs, all so they can gain a sense of whether the opportunity might be right for them.
Need more help sourcing and recruiting high-quality accounting talent for your team?
Call in Houston’s accounting recruiting experts at Murray Resources. We can provide your business with game-changing talent that can drive bottom line results. From CFOs to staff accountants, we have the knowledge and experience to source the finest candidates for both full-time and contract job openings. Contact us today to learn more.
Tips for Working with Houston Accounting Recruiters
One of the best ways for Houston accounting professionals to discover new job opportunities is to work with a recruiting firm. For candidates who have not worked with Houston accounting recruiters before, the team at Murray Resources has put together some tips that we believe will help you with the process.
Our process varies depending on the position, but here are some of the services you can expect when you work with us:
- Resume Feedback
- We help our candidates fine-tune their resumes to give them the best chance at making an excellent first impression.
- Detailed Style and Skill Assessments
- We believe that these assessments are vital steps to take in order to match job seekers with the right positions. We evaluate each individual’s work style and skills so that we can identify core strengths and areas that may need improvement.
- Exclusive Job Access
- We have relationships with many different employers, allowing us to present our candidates with unique opportunities.
- In-Depth Interviews
- We interview all of our potential candidates so that we can determine who might be the right fit for each position.
- Salary Consultation
- We have experience working in multiple industries and have placed countless candidates, affording us a thorough understanding of salary ranges in the job market today.
All of the organizations that we work with have very specific requirements when it comes to candidate qualifications. All of our candidates need to be able to perform all of the job responsibilities that are specified with each position and be a good fit for the unique company culture of each organization.
If you are considering working with Houston accounting recruiters, you should follow these key guidelines:
- – Be honest about your skills.
- – Apply for positions for which you are qualified.
- – Be professional and dress professionally – Treat your meeting with your recruiter as you would an interview.
- – Refer your contacts to positions that may be a good fit.
Working with a recruiter is an excellent way to find the right job that fits your professional needs. At Murray Resources, we take pride in our excellent track-record for placing job candidates with the right organizations.
Are you a talented Houston accounting professional looking for your next career move?
Tags: Houston Accountants, Houston Accounting Recruiters, houston recruiters, Houston recruiting agency, houston staffing agency, Houston temporary agency, staffing agency in Houston, Tips for Working with Houston Accounting Recruiters
15 Critical Questions You Should Ask Every Temporary Employment Firm
Landing a position through a temporary employment agency can provide a host of benefits, like a flexible schedule, supplemental income, and the ability to test the waters at different companies. But if you’ve never worked for a Houston temporary employment agency before, you may have some questions. That’s a good thing! Before committing to a particular agency, you should ask each a variety of questions to ensure they’re a good fit for you.
Here’s a list of 15 important questions to help you get started:
Questions to Ask About the Temporary Employment Agency
1. How long have you been in business?
2. Why types of Houston employers do you work with?
3. What are some examples of the job opportunities that you fill?
4. How much do your services cost? (Hint: If the employment agency tells you they charge job seekers for their services, then it’s time to say good-bye. Reputable employment agencies don’t ask applicants to pay for placements in temporary job assignments.)
Questions About How the Process Works
5. Will you contact me when a position I’m suited for becomes available, or should I call to check in? How often?
6. What happens if I want to turn down a job opportunity? Is that allowed?
7. What if I accept a temporary job opportunity, but realize after a few days things aren’t working? What should I do?
8. If I show up to an assignment and the company decides they don’t need me, do I still get paid?
9. Will I receive training? Do I have to pay for the training? (Again, if the answer’s “yes,” it’s time to turn and walk away. A reputable employment agency will not ask you to pay for training.)
10. What if the Houston employer you place me with wants to hire me full-time? Can I accept?
Questions About Pay & Benefits
11. Approximately how much do the jobs I’m qualified for pay?
12. How do I track my hours?
13. How often will I be paid?
14. Do you offer any benefits, such as health insurance, to temporary employees?
15. Do you pay overtime to temporary employees? If so, what’s the rate?
Make sure you get the answers to these questions – and any others you may have – before committing to a particular temporary employment agency. And if you want to add Murray Resources to the list of Houston temporary employment agencies you’d like to possibly work with, then please feel free to contact us to learn more. Or, to get an idea of the types of positions we can give you access to, take a look at our current job openings in and around the Houston area.
How to Use LinkedIn to Find a Job
Not on LinkedIn? Then you’re missing out on a huge opportunity to promote your skills and search for jobs in Houston. In fact, the professional connections you make on LinkedIn can truly give you an advantage in your job search – and in your career.
Here’s how to get started:
Create your profile.
Think of your LinkedIn profile as your online resume. Create a detailed profile, including past employment, education, and qualifications. Also be sure to include keywords (such as Houston civil engineer) so that you will be easily found. If you have a professional headshot, you may also want to upload that to your profile.
Build your network.
The more connections you make, the more opportunities you will have. With that said…don’t go crazy with your connections. Only connect to people you know and trust.
Let your network know that you’re looking for a job in Houston, TX. The more people who know you’re looking, the faster you may be able to find a job.
Recommendations from people you have worked with in the past carry a lot of weight. A variety of positive recommendations will put you in the best possible light to potential employers in Houston.
Use the job search section to find job listings you may be interested in.
Ask & answer questions.
The Answers section in LinkedIn is a great way to increase your visibility, as well as enhance your credibility within your particular field. Respond to questions, and ask a question if you need information.
Check if a company is still hiring.
Many companies today have their own pages on LinkedIn. So if there is a Houston company you’d like to work for, go to their LinkedIn profile and check out their “New Hire” section to see if anyone new has recently joined the company. Also, look to see if you know any of the company’s current employees so you can make a connection.
Get to the hiring manager.
If you do know someone at the company, ask that individual to forward your resume to the hiring manager. Hiring managers are much more apt to review a resume that comes from someone they know.
Find out about the company.
Again, if you know someone at the company, ask them for the inside scoop on getting hired at that company. If you don’t have an “in” at the company, then take a look at the profiles of existing employees to get a better sense of the backgrounds and experience of people who already work at the company.
Searching for a job can be a daunting challenge. But by leveraging the power of social media, you may be able to find the job of your dreams a lot quicker. And if you still need helping finding the right job opportunity here in Houston, TX, please contact Murray Resources. As a premier employment firm serving the Houston area, we can connect you with a variety of Houston job opportunities in fields such as administration, engineering, accounting/finance, and sales and customer service. We look forward to helping you!