15 Critical Questions You Should Ask Every Temporary Employment Firm
Landing a position through a temporary employment agency can provide a host of benefits, like a flexible schedule, supplemental income, and the ability to test the waters at different companies. But if you’ve never worked for a Houston temporary employment agency before, you may have some questions. That’s a good thing! Before committing to a particular agency, you should ask each a variety of questions to ensure they’re a good fit for you.
Here’s a list of 15 important questions to help you get started:
Questions to Ask About the Temporary Employment Agency
1. How long have you been in business?
2. Why types of Houston employers do you work with?
3. What are some examples of the job opportunities that you fill?
4. How much do your services cost? (Hint: If the employment agency tells you they charge job seekers for their services, then it’s time to say good-bye. Reputable employment agencies don’t ask applicants to pay for placements in temporary job assignments.)
Questions About How the Process Works
5. Will you contact me when a position I’m suited for becomes available, or should I call to check in? How often?
6. What happens if I want to turn down a job opportunity? Is that allowed?
7. What if I accept a temporary job opportunity, but realize after a few days things aren’t working? What should I do?
8. If I show up to an assignment and the company decides they don’t need me, do I still get paid?
9. Will I receive training? Do I have to pay for the training? (Again, if the answer’s “yes,” it’s time to turn and walk away. A reputable employment agency will not ask you to pay for training.)
10. What if the Houston employer you place me with wants to hire me full-time? Can I accept?
Questions About Pay & Benefits
11. Approximately how much do the jobs I’m qualified for pay?
12. How do I track my hours?
13. How often will I be paid?
14. Do you offer any benefits, such as health insurance, to temporary employees?
15. Do you pay overtime to temporary employees? If so, what’s the rate?
Make sure you get the answers to these questions – and any others you may have – before committing to a particular temporary employment agency. And if you want to add Murray Resources to the list of Houston temporary employment agencies you’d like to possibly work with, then please feel free to contact us to learn more. Or, to get an idea of the types of positions we can give you access to, take a look at our current job openings in and around the Houston area.
How to Use LinkedIn to Find a Job
Not on LinkedIn? Then you’re missing out on a huge opportunity to promote your skills and search for jobs in Houston. In fact, the professional connections you make on LinkedIn can truly give you an advantage in your job search – and in your career.
Here’s how to get started:
Create your profile.
Think of your LinkedIn profile as your online resume. Create a detailed profile, including past employment, education, and qualifications. Also be sure to include keywords (such as Houston civil engineer) so that you will be easily found. If you have a professional headshot, you may also want to upload that to your profile.
Build your network.
The more connections you make, the more opportunities you will have. With that said…don’t go crazy with your connections. Only connect to people you know and trust.
Let your network know that you’re looking for a job in Houston, TX. The more people who know you’re looking, the faster you may be able to find a job.
Recommendations from people you have worked with in the past carry a lot of weight. A variety of positive recommendations will put you in the best possible light to potential employers in Houston.
Use the job search section to find job listings you may be interested in.
Ask & answer questions.
The Answers section in LinkedIn is a great way to increase your visibility, as well as enhance your credibility within your particular field. Respond to questions, and ask a question if you need information.
Check if a company is still hiring.
Many companies today have their own pages on LinkedIn. So if there is a Houston company you’d like to work for, go to their LinkedIn profile and check out their “New Hire” section to see if anyone new has recently joined the company. Also, look to see if you know any of the company’s current employees so you can make a connection.
Get to the hiring manager.
If you do know someone at the company, ask that individual to forward your resume to the hiring manager. Hiring managers are much more apt to review a resume that comes from someone they know.
Find out about the company.
Again, if you know someone at the company, ask them for the inside scoop on getting hired at that company. If you don’t have an “in” at the company, then take a look at the profiles of existing employees to get a better sense of the backgrounds and experience of people who already work at the company.
Searching for a job can be a daunting challenge. But by leveraging the power of social media, you may be able to find the job of your dreams a lot quicker. And if you still need helping finding the right job opportunity here in Houston, TX, please contact Murray Resources. As a premier employment firm serving the Houston area, we can connect you with a variety of Houston job opportunities in fields such as administration, engineering, accounting/finance, and sales and customer service. We look forward to helping you!